Wednesday, May 2, 2012

PBA Sr Tour - Winter Garden

Ouch!  That kind of sums things up after missing cash by ONE pin and finals by 11.  This was a 3-squad tournament with no re-oiling in between.  On "C" squad I started on the "burn" and got off to a horrible start, shooting 169 on lanes 13-14.  Followed up by a 182, I was off to a -50 start, then shot 246 to get me going again, and I finished the block at +28.  The second block wasn't very good.  I had a lot of trouble with the ball hooking early and I missed some shots to the inside - just couldn't get anything going and dropped to -8.  The third squad was on the "fresh" and I set up my first pair beautifully, starting with the front 7 to shoot 259.  However, I struggled to get a clean reaction on my next 3 pairs, and I was at +15 with two games to go.  Making a "what the hell" move, I switched to a lightly polished medium pearl and shot 258.  I tried this same ball on the next pair and it was way too much length for the pair.  I switched back to the stronger solid ball, got a 3-bagger, but then the next two shots went flat-7, flat-7.  I struck in the 10th but left a 6-8 in the 11th.  I prettty much knew the two flat 7s and the non strike in the 11th were going to be my undoing.  Like any tournament, I missed a couple of spares and gave a couple pins in count away on a couple of splits.  Lesson learned again - don't give any count away if you can help, stay present on every shot and keep grinding!  I'm proud of myself that I kept grinding and almost got back to a check, but it's time to figure out what went wrong mechanically this week, so I'm off to Kegel to get a quick lesson with Del Warren.

No comments:

Post a Comment