Monday, November 23, 2009

Yesterday was very good. Got up early (5:20AM) to make the drive from Lafayette to Sterling (about 110 miles) for their U.S. Open qualifier. Entries were in the low 30's and the format was simple - 9 games qualifying with a cut to the top 5 for the stair step finals. The best part was that they actually put out a U.S. Open shot! I had my best look with a pin down, 40 x 5 x 70 Magic Action that I had just drilled the day before. This ball give me a great look on the fresh playing about 16 - 10 at the break, as it picked up very well in the mid-lane, which is always a problem on this pattern. With a 238-214 start, I was in good shape.

As the day went along, they continued to get a little tougher for me, but I just kept grinding and qualified 3rd. Although I lost my match on a brooklyn strike by my opponent in the 10th, I was very happy with this tournament. I led the first 6 games, made good shots and made my spares. I missed a few spares my last couple games, which dropped me to 3rd, but I came away from this tournament sharper and feeling very good about my swing.

The key to the U.S. Open pattern is to throw a medium strength ball, usually pin down, that does not try to read the fronts, reads the mid-lane a lot, then lays off at the back. Any ball that tries to flip too much at the back of the lane is not going to work very well. This is why I like to use pin down, although I have seen people use weaker pin up layouts to help get as much forward roll as possible. You need to use more forward roll than you normally would playing anywhere from 15 - 30 at the arrows, but you need to sacrifice a little carry to control the pocket.

I was able to maintain medium speed and forward roll, and I let the ball, which is a pearl, turn up at the back without jumping. With the pocket under control, the right reaction in my hand with a 2000 Abralon finish, I had a good look with this ball most of the day. If I had a weak pin up ball for the finals, I might have won this tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment